Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mickey Mouse Underwear

It's official. We are really trying to potty train. We have tons of big boy underwear - mickey mouse, thomas the train, spiderman... you name it we have it. We tried yesterday, but we went to a few places so diapers had to be used, so it couldn't officially be started. But today, oh today, we hunkered down at home. We started with Thomas underwear - he stayed dry for an hour going once on the potty. Then he wanted to change to Mickey Mouse so we did. Wet within 20 minutes, change again to Spiderman - wet within 10 minutes. I was feeling pretty defeated. I even said wow this is going to be so hard - and that's when poor spiderman got peed on. I could tell he felt defeated too. He kept saying I sorry spiderman, I not do it again. So I asked do you want more underwear or a diaper, "Diaper" he responds. Thinking to myself - I am going to be terrible at this - Diaper it is. But he went down for nap with a diaper, and when he woke up I thought we are going to try this again. Wouldn't you know he stayed dry all afternoon! I am so proud. I'm sure going to school will mess us up, but we will continue trying while we are at the house. Then Memorial Day weekend we will really work on it seeing how we will be home for 4 days straight.

Just so I remember this - we rewarded him with Thomas the Train stickers. He picked one out and got to put it on his chart on the fridge himself. He was so proud of himself. He would say "Yay for me! I did it!" and jump up and down clapping. During the afternoon, the only way I could get him to stop playing and go was to say that I had to go and needed him to come with me. Sure enough it worked! Oh and the added incentive of 1 Thomas sticker for the chart and 1 Mickey Mouse sticker for his hand. Whatever works people!

Truth be told - I will miss diapers. They are so easy. I can't figure out why people hate them so much. But he is growing up. I can't hold him back because it inconveniences me (or just makes me sad because it means he is no longer a baby).

Cooper has been great through lots of transitions - bottle to sippy cup - sippy cup to regular cup - crib to toddler bed - formula to milk - I mean seriously I think I just expected this to just happen. I think I may be in for a challenge. But hey that has never stopped me before!

No comments:

Post a Comment